We know healthcare.
Our healthcare-focused angel investor group is comprised of accredited investors who are physicians, scientists, successful med-tech entrepreneurs, former industry execs and others with relevant backgrounds: regulatory, reimbursement, legal, finance, marketing, and more.
We invest liberally across sectors addressing both management/curative and prevention/wellness sides of health.
For therapeutics, we limit investments to repurposed drugs. No first-in-humans.
With many of our members active in the healthcare sector, MEDA Angels’ investments in technologies reflect strong market fit & technical validation. Moreover, our members are often called on to serve as advisors to healthcare companies. We leverage our extensive networks and deep expertise to support companies in which we invest.
We are, thus, strategic investors.
Meet The Team
Elizabeth Cho-Fertikh, PhD
Co-Founder & Managing Director
- 25 years drug development & clinical trials at biotechs & startups (oncology, infectious diseases, neurodegenerative diseases), regulatory affairs, grants administration & angel investing
- ECF Biosolutions, Washington, DC
- BA, Johns Hopkins University
- PhD, Thomas Jefferson Medical School
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Harvard Medical School
Amir Rafii, MD
- Head & Neck Surgery and Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, San Francisco Bay area
- BS, University of California, Berkeley
- MD, Georgetown Medical School
- Residency, University of California, Davis
- Fellowship, Virginia Mason Hospital
Ferdinand Hui, MD
- Interventional Neuroradiology, Johns Hopkins Medical
- Priors: Interventional Neuroradiology – Cleveland Clinic & Emory University Hosp
- MD, University of VA Medical School
- Residency, Medical College of VA
- Fellowship, Emory University Hospital
Greg Buchert, MD, MPH
- Executive level roles in health plans & healthcare delivery systems
- Former Pres & CEO, Blue Shield of CA’s Promise Health Plan
- Former CEO, Centene’s Medicaid Managed Care Plan (CA)
- Pediatric Emergency Care
- BA, Tufts University
- MD & MPH, Tulane School of Medicine
- Residency, Tulane & Children’s Hospital of Oakland
Tai Mai, MBA
- Digital health & AI technologies
- BSE, Duke University, Biomedical Engineering
- MBA, Georgetown McDonough School of Business
Lindsay DuRoss, MBA
- Food Tech/Wellness/Media-Health
- BA, Sarah Lawrence College
- MBA, Rollins Crummer School of Business
Petrocelli Brooks, MBA
- Managing Partner, Glen Echo Capital, focused on middle market & early stage healthcare, industrial & tech businesses
- Former Merck & Pfizer exec: M&A, venture investments & strategic transactions
- Former Goldman Sachs: healthcare investment banking
- BS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- MBA, Univ of Chicago Booth School of Business
John Brzezenski, MBA
- 25+ years senior operating & exec management, advisory, private equity roles
- Partner, J. Lock & Co, merchant bank
- Angel investor & former Board Director, Launchpad Ventures, since 2002
- AB, Harvard University
- MBA, Northwestern Kellogg School of Management
Edward E. Berger, Ph.D.
- Reimbursement analysis, planning and advocacy
- Healthcare public policy
- Principal and Founder, Larchmont Strategic Advisors
- Member, Mass Medical Angels
- BA Harvard College
- Ph.D. Boston University
- Partner, Pixel Perfect Ventures
- 7 successful exits as leadership team member, founder or advisor
- Helped scale Audax Health/Rally Health from pre-revenue to $1B in revenue, sold to UnitedHealth Group
- CEO, Cofounder, Kikscore, sold to Google
- Broad cross-functional experience in Operations, Corp Dev, Marketing/PR, Project/Mgmt roles
- BA, Miami University
- JD, Ohio State University College of Law
Steven S. Brooks, MD, FACC
- Interventional Cardiology
- Nearly a decade at FDA, medical device 510K, de novo, regulatory affairs
- Principal, Brooks MedTech LLC, regulatory consulting
- AB, Duke University
- MD, University of Pittsburgh
- MBA, Johns Hopkins Carey School of Business
Alexander Antoniou, MD, MBA
- Healthcare Investing, Reimbursements, Clinical Informatics, Nuclear Medicine
- Venture Partner, FundRx
- Priors: Director of Corporate Innovations, Carefirst Blue Cross Blue Shield; McKinsey & Co.
- BS, Tufts University
- MD, Tufts School of Medicine
- MBA, Johns Hopkins Carey School of Medicine
- House Staff, Nuclear Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital
Concetta Dudley, JD
- Corporate counsel with 20+ yrs in Technology Commercialization
- Advisor to startups & emerging companies
- BA, Case Western Reserve University
- JD, Cleveland State University
- MA, Bioethics, University of Pennsylvania
Daniel Geselowitz, PhD
- Angel Investor, Patent Agent specializing in biotech & chemical art, Kratz, Quintos & Hanson
- BS, Haverford University
- PhD, Stanford University
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Fred Gumbinner, JD
- 30+ years micro private equity & angel investing
- Managing Partner, G2 GEM Finance & ICON Finance
- BA, Colgate University
- JD, University of Michigan School of Law
Nancy L. Cho, MD
- Endocrine cancer surgery & cancer research, Brigham & Women’s Hospital & Harvard Medical School.
- BS, Harvard University
- MD, Columbia Medical School
- Residency & Fellowship, Brigham & Women’s Hospital
James V. Ray
- Twitter: Machine Learning Product Leader
- Deep learning expert, data scientist (computer vision, natural language processing)
- AI research and engineering leader
- Corporate strategy executive
- Formerly: Accenture, Deloitte
- BA, Duke University
- Duke’s Fuqua School of Business
MEDA Angels provides Investor Members with several programs:
(1) Investment opportunities: this is our core program. We identify and screen promising deal flow sourced from throughout the US and on occasion, internationally. We present Mid-Seed and Series A investment opportunities across a broad range of healthcare sectors, including medical devices, digital health, SaaS, AR/VR, robotics, therapeutics and more, addressing both disease management & prevention/wellness, workflow improvements and more.
With strive to provide our members with the highest quality deal flow. How do we do this?
- As actual potential end-users of novel healthcare technologies, we can expertly & swiftly assess the product market fit of technologies: a critical screening step.
- We leverage our extensive networks built over years with top medical schools, healthcare systems, industry, research Centers of Excellence, incubators, accelerators and innovation hubs where many startups are spawn or affiliated with.
- We exchange deal flow with trusted and well-respected syndicate partners who share the same vision & investment thesis.
(2) MEDA Angels Fund 1. All members have the opportunity to become investors (Limited Partners) in our inaugural Fund. 2nd and final close: Aug 31, 2023.
(3) Advisory opportunities: we recognize that some startups require a guiding hand, and with the right Advisory, can turn into rising stars. With a membership steeped in healthcare, startups have come to know our group as a rich resource that can provide relevant and needed support. More details are provided here.
(4) Education: our sessions are often a unique blend of Investor Roundtables meet Medical Grand Rounds, bringing both sides of the table together on:
We invite accredited investors to join as members! To check whether you qualify for accredited investor status per the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission regulations, CLICK HERE .
Click here to learn more about our memberships.
Welcome entrepreneurs! We’d love to learn more about your technology or product. Please review our investment thesis below and if you are aligned, please apply. We will get back within 2-3 weeks.
- We have a liberal interest in healthcare opportunities and will consider nearly all that touch on healthcare: digital health, SaaS, med devices, AR/VR, robotics. For therapeutics, we invest only in repurposed drugs. We are interested in both disease management and prevention/wellness.
- Non-US-based companies: should have some type of US presence, whether a subsidiary, key staff or Board members in the US. Please inquire first at email@example.com
- Stages: Mid Seed & Series A.
- Mid Seed for digital health & SaaS: approx $300K in ARR, several customers.
- Mid Seed for devices & repurposed drugs: approx 6-8 months from FDA clearance or just after.
- Series A criteria: more advanced than mid-seed. Flexible on how advanced. Please inquire: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Apply Now link will take you to sparkxyz.io, our application platform.