We know healthcare.
Our healthcare-focused angel investor group is comprised of accredited investors who are physicians, scientists, successful med-tech entrepreneurs, and experts with relevant backgrounds: regulatory, reimbursement, intellectual property & finance (private equity, venture capital, sovereign wealth funds).
Our notion of healthcare is quite liberal, so we will invest in any early stage company that touches on health including: digital health, medical devices, robotics, diagnostics, imaging, AI-driven technologies, and wellness (e.g. food/tech, sports/tech, media-promoting health).
For therapeutics, we limit investments to repurposed drugs only.
With many of our members active in the healthcare sector, MEDA Angels’ investments in technologies reflect not only strong market & technical validation of the products invested in, but members can often represent natural, prospective customers and impactful advisors to portfolio companies. We leverage our extensive networks to support companies in which we invest.
We are, thus, strategic investors.
Meet The Team
Elizabeth Cho-Fertikh, PhD
Co-Founder & Managing Director
- 25 years cancer research, regulatory affairs, grants administration & angel investing
- ECF Biosolutions, Washington, DC
- BA, Johns Hopkins University
- PhD, Thomas Jefferson Medical School
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Institutes of Health & Harvard Medical School
Amir Rafii, MD
- Head & Neck Surgery and Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, San Francisco Bay area
- BS, University of California, Berkeley
- MD, Georgetown Medical School
- Residency, University of California, Davis
- Fellowship, Virginia Mason Hospital
Mark J. Libassi, MD
- Robotic & Minimally Invasive Surgery, Philadelphia, PA area.
- MD, Medical College of Pennsylvania
- Residency, Hospital of the Medical College of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship, Lehigh Valley Hospital (Trauma Surgery & Critical Care)
Tai Mai, MBA
- Digital health & AI technologies
- BS, Duke University, Biomedical Engineering
- MBA, Georgetown McDonough School of Business
Patrick Malone, MD/PhD candidate
- AI in neuroimaging & neurophysiology
(EEGs, brain-computer interface; wearables & medtech)
- BS, Emory University, Neuroscience
- MD/PhD anticipated in 2021, Georgetown School of Medicine
- AI in neuroimaging & neurophysiology
Danai Brooks, MBA
- Managing Partner, Glen Echo Capital
- Priors: COO, Dyadic, sold to Dupont 2015; JP Morgan, Mergers & Acquisitions
- BS, Cornell University
- MBA, Northwestern Kellogg School of Management
John Brzezenski, MBA
- 25+ years senior operating & exec management, advisory, private equity roles
- Partner, J. Lock & Co, merchant bank
- Angel investor & former Board Director, Launchpad Ventures, since 2002
- AB, Harvard University
- MBA, Northwestern Kellogg School of Management
Steven S. Brooks, MD, FACC
- Interventional Cardiology
- Nearly a decade at FDA, medical device 510K, de novo, regulatory affairs
- Principal, Brooks MedTech LLC, regulatory consulting
- AB, Duke University
- MD, University of Pittsburgh
- MBA, Johns Hopkins Carey School of Business
Daniel Geselowitz, PhD
- Angel Investor, Patent Agent specializing in biotech & chemical art, Kratz, Quintos & Hanson
- BS, Haverford University
- PhD, Stanford University
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Fred Gumbinner, JD
- 30+ years micro private equity & angel investing
- Managing Partner, G2 GEM Finance & ICON Finance
- BA, Colgate University
- JD, University of Michigan School of Law
Concetta Dudley, JD
- Corporate counsel with 20+ yrs in Technology Commercialization
- Advisor to startups & emerging companies
- BA, Case Western Reserve University
- JD, Cleveland State University
- MA, Bioethics, University of Pennsylvania
Alexander Antoniou, MD, MBA
- Healthcare Investing, Reimbursements, Clinical Informatics, Nuclear Medicine
- Director of Corporate Innovations, Carefirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Venture Partner, FundRx
- McKinsey & Co.
- BS, Tufts University
- MD, Tufts School of Medicine
- MBA, Johns Hopkins Carey School of Medicine
- House Staff, Nuclear Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital
Nancy L. Cho, MD
- Endocrine cancer surgery & cancer research, Brigham & Women’s Hospital & Harvard Medical School.
- BS, Harvard University
- MD, Columbia Medical School
- Residency & Fellowship, Brigham & Women’s Hospital
MEDA Angels provides Investor Members with several programs:
(1) Investment opportunities: this is our core program. We identify and screen promising deal flow sourced from throughout the US and on occasion, internationally. We present mid-seed and Series A investment opportunities, and where compelling, pre/Series B, in companies meeting our investment thesis (below, under “For Startups” section).
We strive to provide our members with the highest quality deal flow. How do we do this?
- As actual potential end-users of novel healthcare technologies, we can expertly & swifty assess the product market fit of technologies: a critical screening step.
- We leverage our roots in and extensive networks built over years with top medical schools, healthcare systems, industry, research Centers of Excellence, incubators, accelerators and innovation hubs where many startups are spawn or affiliated with.
- We exchange deal flow with trusted, syndicate partners who share the same vision & investment thesis.
- Every 2 months: alternating virtual & on-site pitch meetings (DC & Philadelphia)
- Ad hoc: virtual pitch meetings when a highly promising investment opportunity arises (approximately 3-4x a year)
(2) NEW! Advisory opportunities: we recognize that some startups require a guiding hand, and with the right Advisory, can turn into rising stars. As senior-level experts, our Members are positioned to be such Advisors. Our twice-a-year Startup Showcases are intended to introduce startups to Advisors/Investors.
(3) Education: our sessions are often a unique blend of Investor Roundtables meet Medical Grand Rounds, bringing both sides of the table together on:
- Macro investment topics.
- Healthcare-specific investment topics.
- Due diligence, basic & advanced.
- Current topics, such as COVID-19 & its impact on macro & healthcare-specific investing.
- Schedule: ad hoc.
We invite accredited investors to join as members! To check whether you qualify for accredited investor status per the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission regulations, CLICK HERE .
Click here to learn more about our memberships.
Welcome entrepreneurs! We’d love to learn more about your technology or product. We invest in mid-seed and Series A-ready companies, with a preference for equity investment opportunities. If yours meets these criteria and those described below, please apply by submitting a pitch deck and executive summary. We will conduct an initial screening and reach out with our decision. If selected, we will be pleased to extend an invitation to present to our members! Thank you for your interest in MEDA Angels.
- digital health/SaaS: beta-test completed with some revenue generation or contracts
- consumer products: some revenue-generation, prefer B2B models
- for repurposed drugs & medical devices: preclinical tests & pilot toxicology studies completed
- for diagnostic & imaging products: pilot studies completed
This website and the information contained herein is provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell securities or any other financial instrument. Any information regarding the sales of financial instruments or trading or investment performance must be considered in conjunction with the appropriate disclosure documents. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. MEDA Angels, LLC is not an investment advisor, venture fund, investment bank, broker nor dealer, and it does not recommend or otherwise provides advice with respect to investments in any company, security or industry. It is not a registered as an investment advisor, broker/dealer or in any other capacity with the Securities Exchange Commission or any state securities commission. MEDA Angels, LLC does not opine on the accuracy of any information provided by a presenting company. Each Member is responsible for his or her own due diligence investigation and investment decisions. All investments in startup companies involve a high degree of risk, and investors should be able to bear the risk of complete financial loss of their investment. The choice to use, manner of utilization of, and information and knowledge gained through MEDA Angels, LLC is each Member’s individual choice. MEDA Angels, LLC does not provide any tax, compliance, reporting, legal or other advice, and Members should seek appropriate professional assistance in connection with their consideration of each investment opportunity.