We know healthcare.
Our healthcare-focused angel investor group is comprised of accredited investors who are physicians, scientists, successful med-tech entrepreneurs, and experts with relevant backgrounds: regulatory, reimbursement, intellectual property & finance (private equity, venture capital, sovereign wealth funds).
Our notion of healthcare is quite liberal, so we will invest in startups that touch on health in any way including: digital health, medical devices, robotics, diagnostics, imaging, AI-driven technologies, and wellness (e.g. food/tech, sports/tech, media-promoting health).
For therapeutics, we limit investments to repurposed drugs, preferring to skip first-in-humans.
We invest in Mid-Seed & Series A stage companies.
For those at the earlier Pre-Seed/Seed stages, we are also available to support your ventures in other ways: please check out our Advisory Program.
With many of our members active in the healthcare sector, MEDA Angels’ investments in technologies reflect not only strong market & technical validation of the products invested in, but members can often represent natural, prospective customers and impactful advisors to portfolio companies. We leverage our extensive networks to support companies in which we invest.
We are, thus, strategic investors.
Meet The Team
Elizabeth Cho-Fertikh, PhD
Co-Founder & Managing Director
- 25 years drug development & clinical trials at biotechs & startups (oncology, infectious diseases, neurodegenerative diseases), regulatory affairs, grants administration & angel investing
- ECF Biosolutions, Washington, DC
- BA, Johns Hopkins University
- PhD, Thomas Jefferson Medical School
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Harvard Medical School
Amir Rafii, MD
- Head & Neck Surgery and Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, San Francisco Bay area
- BS, University of California, Berkeley
- MD, Georgetown Medical School
- Residency, University of California, Davis
- Fellowship, Virginia Mason Hospital
Mark J. Libassi, MD
- Robotic & Minimally Invasive Surgery, Philadelphia, PA area.
- MD, Medical College of Pennsylvania
- Residency, Hospital of the Medical College of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship, Lehigh Valley Hospital (Trauma Surgery & Critical Care)
Ferdinand Hui, MD
- Interventional Neuroradiology, Johns Hopkins Medical
- Priors: Interventional Neuroradiology – Cleveland Clinic & Emory University Hosp
- MD, University of VA Medical School
- Residency, Medical College of VA
- Fellowship, Emory University Hospital
Tai Mai, MBA
- Digital health & AI technologies
- BS, Duke University, Biomedical Engineering
- MBA, Georgetown McDonough School of Business
Lindsay DuRoss, MBA
- Food Tech/Wellness/Media-Health
- BA, Sarah Lawrence College
- MBA, Rollins Crummer School of Business
Danai Brooks, MBA
- Managing Partner, Glen Echo Capital
- Priors: COO, Dyadic, sold to Dupont 2015; JP Morgan, Mergers & Acquisitions
- BS, Cornell University
- MBA, Northwestern Kellogg School of Management
John Brzezenski, MBA
- 25+ years senior operating & exec management, advisory, private equity roles
- Partner, J. Lock & Co, merchant bank
- Angel investor & former Board Director, Launchpad Ventures, since 2002
- AB, Harvard University
- MBA, Northwestern Kellogg School of Management
- Partner, Pixel Perfect Ventures
- 7 successful exits as leadership team member, founder or advisor
- Helped scale Audax Health/Rally Health from pre-revenue to $1B in revenue, sold to UnitedHealth Group
- CEO, Cofounder, Kikscore, sold to Google
- Broad cross-functional experience in Operations, Corp Dev, Marketing/PR, Project/Mgmt roles
- BA, Miami University
- JD, Ohio State University College of Law
Steven S. Brooks, MD, FACC
- Interventional Cardiology
- Nearly a decade at FDA, medical device 510K, de novo, regulatory affairs
- Principal, Brooks MedTech LLC, regulatory consulting
- AB, Duke University
- MD, University of Pittsburgh
- MBA, Johns Hopkins Carey School of Business
Alexander Antoniou, MD, MBA
- Healthcare Investing, Reimbursements, Clinical Informatics, Nuclear Medicine
- Venture Partner, FundRx
- Priors: Director of Corporate Innovations, Carefirst Blue Cross Blue Shield; McKinsey & Co.
- BS, Tufts University
- MD, Tufts School of Medicine
- MBA, Johns Hopkins Carey School of Medicine
- House Staff, Nuclear Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital
Daniel Geselowitz, PhD
- Angel Investor, Patent Agent specializing in biotech & chemical art, Kratz, Quintos & Hanson
- BS, Haverford University
- PhD, Stanford University
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Fred Gumbinner, JD
- 30+ years micro private equity & angel investing
- Managing Partner, G2 GEM Finance & ICON Finance
- BA, Colgate University
- JD, University of Michigan School of Law
Concetta Dudley, JD
- Corporate counsel with 20+ yrs in Technology Commercialization
- Advisor to startups & emerging companies
- BA, Case Western Reserve University
- JD, Cleveland State University
- MA, Bioethics, University of Pennsylvania
Nancy L. Cho, MD
- Endocrine cancer surgery & cancer research, Brigham & Women’s Hospital & Harvard Medical School.
- BS, Harvard University
- MD, Columbia Medical School
- Residency & Fellowship, Brigham & Women’s Hospital
MEDA Angels provides Investor Members with several programs:
(1) Investment opportunities: this is our core program. We identify and screen promising deal flow sourced from throughout the US and on occasion, internationally. We present mid-seed and Series A investment opportunities, and where compelling, pre/Series B, in companies meeting our investment thesis (below, under “For Startups” section).
We strive to provide our members with the highest quality deal flow. How do we do this?
- As actual potential end-users of novel healthcare technologies, we can expertly & swiftly assess the product market fit of technologies: a critical screening step.
- We leverage our roots in and extensive networks built over years with top medical schools, healthcare systems, industry, research Centers of Excellence, incubators, accelerators and innovation hubs where many startups are spawn or affiliated with.
- We exchange deal flow with trusted, syndicate partners who share the same vision & investment thesis.
- Every 2 months: alternating virtual & on-site pitch meetings (DC & Philadelphia)
- Ad hoc: virtual pitch meetings when a highly promising investment opportunity arises (approximately 3-4x a year)
(2) NEW! Advisory opportunities: we recognize that some startups require a guiding hand, and with the right Advisory, can turn into rising stars. As senior-level experts, our Members are positioned to be such Advisors. Our twice-a-year Startup Showcases are intended to introduce startups to Advisors/Investors. Program details are provided here.
(3) Education: our sessions are often a unique blend of Investor Roundtables meet Medical Grand Rounds, bringing both sides of the table together on:
- Macro investment topics.
- Healthcare-specific investment topics.
- Due diligence, basic & advanced.
- Current topics, such as COVID-19 & its impact on macro & healthcare-specific investing.
- Schedule: ad hoc.
We invite accredited investors to join as members! To check whether you qualify for accredited investor status per the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission regulations, CLICK HERE .
Click here to learn more about our memberships.
Welcome entrepreneurs! We’d love to learn more about your technology or product. We invest in mid-seed and Series A-ready companies, with a preference for equity investment opportunities. If yours meets these criteria and those described below, please apply by submitting a pitch deck and executive summary. We will conduct an initial screening and reach out with our decision. If selected, we will be pleased to extend an invitation to present to our members! Thank you for your interest in MEDA Angels.
- digital health/SaaS: beta-test completed with some revenue generation or contracts
- consumer products: some revenue-generation, prefer B2B models
- for repurposed drugs & medical devices: preclinical tests & pilot toxicology studies completed
- for diagnostic & imaging products: pilot studies completed